Once again, I had issues with black ink dilution.
I used India ink to fill in the wide spaces on this picture. If you’ve never used India ink, it’s basically particles of black pigment suspended in liquid. This means that it can come off the brush in little grits, like powder was sprinkled on the page.
To prevent this from happening, I dip my brush in water before I load it with ink. Unfortunately, this means that instead of turning into particles, the ink simply dilutes into a gray instead of a solid black. I tried to use the result to represent Alima’s dark skin, but the results were uneven.
Maybe I should have just used markers instead.
I didn’t expect this image to come out so iconic, but I’m glad it did.
When I say that the image is iconic, I mean that it’s the kind of picture that can be drawn several different ways and still be recognizable, in the same way an Egyptian god in an engraving can be identified by what they are carrying. Here, it’s easy to recognize that this is a picture of a pine cone, even though it looks nothing like a pine cone. It is, in fact, a negative image of a pine cone; had I wanted to make a reproduction of a real pine cone, I would have made the outer scales lighter, with shadows filling the space between them.
The original inspiration for this picture was the thought of using a brush stroke to make one half of a scale. I now realize that I was always going to have to do something else to make a triangle, considering the brushes I have at my disposal. Nevertheless, it was a worthy experiment, and I am happy with the results.
Just a quick piece I did for this week. To be honest, I mostly just made because I’m still having writer’s block after the five-part essay I posted over January, and I wanted to do something quick. I wonder what you see in the doodles.
Patreon needs a much smaller picture for it’s banner than the one used for this site. I’m thinking of replacing that one too, though the size difference isn’t nearly as bad here as over there. Like the old picture, I painted this with ink on paper. I made the letters too tall, and I wasn’t centered on the page. I guess I’ll just have to try better next time.
There were two things I wanted to see with this picture. The first was how ink brushes worked when drawing hair. The second was if brushes were easier to control than pens. I think it was a wash; having to pull the brush to get a smooth line really limits what I can do with it.
As for the first thing, I like the result, even if it doesn’t look quite like hair. The giant mass streaming out behind her, like she’s disappearing into the fabric of the world, really focuses the eye. I enjoyed the long brush strokes, too, even if I did have to keep reloading the brush in the middle of the line.
If you like this picture, you can support the House Apart on Patreon.
To celebrate the oncoming Halloween, I bring you an image of a character inspired by death metal and Pretty Cure, among other things. I’m not sure I can actually blend those inspirations successfully, but I still like the idea of trying. I was going for a metal album cover kind of feeling with this piece. I don’t like how the eyes turned out though. I think I should have made them glow.
I like how the dust effects turned out. I did them by letting the ink on the brush run out, and then brushing the particles that remained onto the paper. The end result does kind of look like dust, even if it is arranged in a weird way.
This one was based on a dream I had. I had adopted a woolly fox, lighter in color than this one, as a type of pet. My dream ended after the fox’s bodily functions left a mess on the floor.
It’s wonderful what ink can imply. I know that I intended the orbs above the fox to be snowflakes and the moon, but what did you see? What are the things rising in the background, and what are those lines in the foreground? Not even I’m sure of the answer. But the biggest question I have is if you noticed that I forgot to draw the fox’s left legs.
I drew some more dragons. I did something different with this picture: I sketched out the figures in pencil, and then drew over the figures with ink brushes. I used the pencils more as suggestions than anything, with a couple of the figures being completely different places that their pencil figures were.
As for the dragons themselves, even though I made each one have a completely different body, I made sure that they all had elements in common. Namely, I made sure that each one had a ridge of plates going down the back of their necks, and they all had a mane of hair. I believe this gives them all a bit of unity, and implies something about why these particular dragons are all together.
Here’s something I drew to celebrate finding my ink. I wanted to try just sitting down and drawing again, and I felt like drawing some dragons. I don’t like how the dragon in the foreground turned out; it seems that ink brushes don’t do well with that kind of detail. I concentrated on the overall silhouette with the other dragons, and I think they came out much better.